Please be sure to view my "Review Policy" page for updates before submitting a request for review.

Monday, August 5, 2013

Squirrels & Puppies: Dark Morality Tales

Author: Russell A. Mebane
Book Format: ePub (Nook)
Obtained: From author for fair and honest review
My Rating: 4 stars
Pages: 226
Published: October 18th, 2012 by Lulu.com

Synopsis:
The book is a collection of 14 short stories of speculative fiction. Five center around cute animals who end up doing some strange things. Six stories are basic science fiction tales set in possible futures and worlds. Three of the stories are set in a future where Black people of all nationalities have come to financially and politically dominate the Western Hemisphere and influence the world. I arranged the stories so that the lighter-toned stories are near the front and the darker stories are towards the back. All of the stories have a moral to them.

Review:
I received an ePub copy of this book from the author in return for a fair and honest review.

Well, typically I summarize a book before I give my actual thoughts on it. But, since this book is a collection of short stories I would be here forever summarizing them all. I do not have that kind of time, and I am sure that you do not want to sit through it all.

Now, as the synopsis says, all of these stories have a moral to them. This is honestly one book, collection of stories, which I would not recommend for those that have a small, closed mind. Each story, in its own way, is very deep and deals with issues we all face today.

I really like how the author took some of the issues and twisted them a bit to have a little fun with it. For instance, the red squirrel that had the “affair” with the human, I took it to be a play on interracial relationships. I could be wrong, but that is what my take on it was. Not everyone agrees with those relationships and people tend to look down on those that are in them. Just like the characters in the story.

Of the 14 short stories, I would have to say that my two most favorite were “Sexual Killing Machine” and “The Black Section”. Sexual Killing Machine is about a couple that does not want to conform to what society tells them to do. They want to find lasting love and live a long happy life. In the end, after they do live their lives the way they wanted, they decided it was time to succumb to the natural way of life. But, it was all for nothing.  

The Black Section is about how the world’s population of blacks is no longer oppressed by whites, but, in actuality, it is now the whites that are oppressed by blacks. It tells a story about how some want to treat the whites badly and essentially, possibly, wipe out the entire race. However, the person that made it possible for the blacks to be the world majority spared the white race, and all the other races, did not want for them to be oppressed.

Like I said, the author did a wonderful job on these stories. I am glad that I decided to give this book a look. And, I would suggest that anyone with an open mind, and even some of the small minded people out there, to pick this book up and give it a read. It might open your eyes a bit.

Available From: Amazon, Barnes &Noble


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the great review!